Monday, August 12, 2013
Moo, Baa, La La La! - Sandra Boynton (best Android apps for kids)
Carisa at Digital Storytime rated the Android version of Moo, Baa, La La La! the full five stars:
"Moo, Baa, La, La, La is my favorite of the Boynton book apps (at least so far). The print book, published in 1982, was also a chart topper with over one hundred 5-Star reviews at Amazon.com. This app ($3.99) has a similar style to the other Boynton book apps, with lots of touchable elements that bounce slightly like a true pop-up book (and come alive with the addition of snorts, quacks and oinks).
There are also surprising touches with little hints along the way. On the page with the dogs and cats, for instance, if you pull back slightly on any of the animals, they will spring forward and run off the page. The book also features delightful narration by Billy J. Kramer, with highlighting word for word (or tap any word to hear it again). The features added are just enough to make the book engaging without overstimulating a child. The app is also extremely well made with simple settings and easy, swipe-style page turning - an intuitive experience that makes you almost forget you are turning digital rather than real pages. Moo, Baa, La La La is the perfect toddler book; even adults will have a hard time keeping their hands off this very touchable title."
JUST MOO IT! Sandra Boynton’s best-selling book of all time comes alive with sound and movement and gloriously unpredictable interactivity. The wryly inventive Moo, Baa, La La La! digital book app will intrigue and amuse little kids and big people alike, and perhaps even elicit an appreciative snort from the occasional uninvited rhinoceros.
“This is my second digital book project with the perfectly wonderful team at Loud Crow,” says Sandra Boynton, “and I’m really happy with what we’ve created together. As with The Going to Bed Book, our interactive book app version of Moo, Baa, La La La! succeeds in retaining the original board book experience, while adding multi-sensory dimension. It’s such a cool enterprise.”
Far beyond any e-book experience, the Moo, Baa, La La La! interactive book app has all the magic and appeal of a traditional pop-up book, offering lively interactivity and nifty discovery. Of course you can hear each animal make its unique sound. (In some cases, VERY unique.) But there’s more! Help the perplexed chicken stagehand raise the curtain on a stageful of dapper dancing pigs. Turn day to night with the touch of the moon. Slingshot the running cats away from the barking dogs. A touch of the duck activates a quack which brings in another duck. And another. And another. Even the back cover has a curiously articulate spokesman that you really mustn’t miss.
* The second Boynton Moo Media book app (following their top-selling debut, The Going To Bed Book app), venturing far beyond what an e-book experience can offer
* Touch the animals to hear them moo or oink or quack or even, in the case of three incongruous showbiz pigs, harmonize
* Boynton has redrawn and recolored the original illustrations for her most popular book ever, Moo, Baa, La La La! (over 5 million in print!)
* Includes an original instrumental soundtrack, "Country Air," a wonderful uptempo pastoral string quartet written by Michael Ford
* Realistic page turning interactions just like the original board book
* "The Big Guy Reads It" with word highlighting to help improve reading skills
* Or “I want to read it myself” and hear individual words pronounced with the tap of a finger