Tuesday, December 24, 2013
Christmas Story Books (best Android storybook apps for kids - has good free version)
iStorybooks is one of our favorite book app developers. They have a range of book collections, with quite a few free stories. Christmas Story Books includes two free stories, with another five available for purchase ($3 for 5 books? I paid more than that at the charity shop today!), including two brand new stories about Jesus' birth. It is definitely worth downloading the free version of this, but I am sure you will be clicking "Add Books" almost immediately once you see the quality of these stories.
External links to other iStoryBooks apps
What's free: two stories
What's not free: another five stories
Narrated by the well known Maya Ray, this collection of stories have been compiled and adapted especially for Christmas. Each story begins with an introduction and synopsis by the narrator, before children are invited to begin reading/listening to the story. Stories can be set to "Movie Mode" which turns the pages automatically and narration can also be turned off if parents prefer to read to their children themselves. Each story can also be removed from the collection individually if so desired.
There are no interactive elements in the stories of this app, which may or may not be a draw-card for some parents. One bonus feature of this app is the songs that are included. At the end of each story, a Christmas song is played with karaoke style lyrics. Also, one of the "stories" is actually all of the songs put together, one after the other. Would be perfect background music during the opening of presents. Please get this app.
APP DESCRIPTION ON GOOGLE PLAY
Christmas Story Books is a growing collection of Christmas stories and Bible inspired animal stories for children of all ages. Just as a stocking filled with toys and goodies this app comes filled with Christmas stories. This app includes Christmas books of different kinds - classics, tales that are passed on from generation to generation and beautifully read with professional voice over.
Each book comes rich with vibrant pictures, engaging narration and lively music. The app comes with all the cool features of the iStoryBooks platform such as:
* "Read to me" which when enabled reads books to kids
* "Movie mode" which when enabled automatically turns the pages
* Option to save all media on SD card
* User interface designed for little fingers and inquisitive minds
The app is being launched with the following Christmas books:
* A Christmas Carol: It is one of the most beloved winter stories. In this tale, a man named Scrooge is taken on a fantastic journey to the past, present, and future in order to realize the true meaning of Christmas.
* The Elves and the Shoemaker: It is a fun Christmas story about a couple who became very wealthy because of the secret help of magical elves. But when they learn how poor the elves are, the couple sew up a little Christmas magic of their own. In the end, everyone learns the value of hard work, saving wisely, and being grateful.
* The Nutcracker: This version of the Nutcracker tells the story of Clara, who yells when her little brother breaks her new toy. During very strange and frightening dream that night, she uses her courage to save her toy. When she wakes up, she uses that same courage to forgive her brother – realizing that losing a toy isn’t as bad as losing a friendship.
* ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas: Waking up to find your stocking filled with toys and goodies is exciting. But even more exciting, as the person in this poem discovers, is catching a glimpse of the magical reindeer flying and St. Nick or Santa Claus himself – filling your very own stocking!
As we add more books in the future, they will automatically appear in the app. The app is essentially a growing library for growing minds.
For more information, visit facebook.com/iStoryBooks.