Friday, December 27, 2013
Shake-A-Phrase (best Android apps for kids)
This is a three star app that was bottom lined over at Smart Apps For Kids like this: "Well done and with a nice parts-of-speech feature, but not as funny as it needs to be to keep interested for long." This is the kind of app that could be useful and fun for families on long car trips, or for teachers needing to give students writing prompts. "Shake-A-Phrase was strongly developed, has a clean interface and a nice look. It's a unique idea with three basic games: Shake-A-Phrase, which randomly generates a silly, Mad-Libs-style sentence, Story Starter, which generates a silly question to be answered, and Quiz Me, where the child has to identify the parts of speech, such as nouns, verbs, etc." Get it while it's free on Amazon!
"If there are specific words the child doesn't understand in the first two games, they can click on them to see a definition. There are four different themes: shake starter, animals, fairytale, sports and monsters.
I tried the app with my seven and 10-year old boys. The seven-year old is an advanced reader for his age, but he didn't understand at least a word or two in most of the sentences, eliminating the potential giggles. The 10-year old liked the app a bit more, but most of the time, the sentences were silly, but not really funny, so the I-want-to-keep-playing-this factor wasn't there.
I think the app would work better with a vocabulary more appropriate for younger readers, who are far more likely to giggle and get carried away with the silly sentences and then be drawn into the learning aspects of the app. It should be funny sentence, funny sentence, what does that word mean?, funny sentence, etc. rather than the other way around.
The app's saving graces are its price and the Quiz Me game, which is an excellent way for parents to test their child's knowledge of the parts of speech."
Originally posted on Smart Apps For Kids
APP DESCRIPTION ON GOOGLE PLAY
Shake-a-Phrase is a fun language app for creative writing prompts, vocabulary, and parts of speech practice. Perfect for learning and laughing in the classroom or on-the-go, it features over 2,000 words and definitions in 5 engaging themes for ages 8+.
3 WAYS TO SHAKE UP LANGUAGE LEARNING
• SHAKE IT: creates a new random sentence every time you shake - great for discovering new words. Not sure what a word means? Just tap for definitions!
• STORY STARTER: shake up the beginning of a story and let your imagination take over.
• QUIZ ME: test your skills with adjectives, verbs, nouns, prepositions and conjunctions. Tap on the right words to get points and gain levels.
The addictive language fun in Shake-a-Phrase will encourage children to:
• Read the silly, entertaining sentences
• Discover the meanings of unfamiliar words
• Create their own writing projects
• Test their knowledge of verbs, adjectives, nouns, prepositions and conjunctions
• Share language arts fun with friends and family
- 2,000+ age-appropriate vocabulary words, compiled by teachers and parents
- Story Starter prompts suitable for classroom projects
- 5 colorful, inspiring content themes: Sports, Animals, Fairytale, Monsters and Starter
- Customizable Quiz game tests your knowledge of nouns, adjectives, verbs, prepositions and conjunctions, in any combination you select
- Correct and incorrect answers are easy to see
- Correct quiz answers are rewarded with an audible ping and bonus icons as the levels increase – no penalty for wrong answers
- Save the most hilarious sentences to your Faves library
- Email or SMS your favorite wacky sentences to your friends
MADE BY EDUCATIONAL GAME DESIGNERS
The game designers at Artgig Apps come from a background of educational software development and we put lots of TLC into every detail of each app we crete to ensure a fun and engaging learning experience. We include kids, parents and teachers in our app development and testing to make sure our apps are exceptional tools that kids want to use again and again.
We welcome your comments, suggestions and feedback.
Video Demo: http://www.shakeaphrase.com
For more about using Shake-a-Phrase in the classroom:
Thanks for trying Shake-a-Phrase!
For more Artgig Apps and demo videos: http://www.artgigapps.com
We at Artgig Apps are parents ourselves, and we hold your privacy and the privacy of your child in the highest regard.
- Does not share your personal information with us or anyone else.
- Does not include ads, or in-app purchases.
- Includes feedback links and links to the Artgig Apps website within the app.
- Includes sharing features in the app, that allows users to email or message a phrase.
- Uses analytics to collect anonymized user data for general information about how people use our apps.